Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wedding Farmers?

Remember my Camp v. Farm dilemma? Well, the more farms I looked into, the more wise to the "farm wedding" industry I became.

Most of the farms that I found that hosted weddings were not working farms any more (of course there are exceptions). While many of them used to be farms, they now exclusively do events. Some have a small veggie garden, and a few are actually working farms, but many don't grow any food at all.

I asked one of the owners about this. He had been farming for 40 years and just started doing weddings 5 years ago. "The truth of it is, I can make more money on a wedding weekend than I can in practically a whole season of growing food. It's a better investment for me to keep renovating for events than to put money into growing food". Huh? Wow.

So, if the food wasn't going to be grown on the farm (in most cases), what were we getting for our money? A beautiful venue. A finely catered meal (generally organic, some local). Great service. All this for a fairly high price tag.

Sigh. Buh bye beautiful farms.

I love your refurbished barns and picturesque settings. I love your waiters and your matching dinnerware. I will dream about being one of the beautiful brides on your website enjoying her elegant wedding. You host gorgeous weddings that I swoon over, but I think we are just too rustic and hippy for you.

Too rustic and hippy for a farm? Go figure.

Of course, this is just our experience. I know that there are some great farms out there that do wedding events. And when you choose to host your wedding at places like these, you are helping to support local farmers (of the produce, not wedding variety). One that I came across is Broadturn Farm.

Any others out there that you know of? I would love to restore my faith in the farm wedding industry by finding other food-producing venues. Or did anyone have a really great experience at a non-food-producing farm venue that might help change my mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment