Monday, February 8, 2010

Farm Wedding v. Camp Wedding

So, thinking about our wedding venue wishlist, I began to do some intensive googling. My keywords? "farm wedding", "organic wedding", "thrifty wedding", "eco wedding", "barn wedding", "cheap wedding". This was one of the first venues I stumbled upon. Organic local food? Absolutely stunning? I'm in love.

Mama Veggie: Umm... that looks kind of expensive.
Me: How expensive could it be? They're farmers.

The answer: out of our price range for sure. Not just minimally, but way out. Onwards. Maybe I should emphasize the "cheap" keyword. Hmm... this looks interesting. "A Practical Wedding: Creative, Thrifty, Sane". I like it. I especially like this one:


Mama Veggie: Ooh let's call them right now.
Me: I'm already on the phone with them. Oh. They have a no alcohol policy. Thanks anyway, bye.

Not that we are big drinkers, but we like to have a good time. And I think Mr. Veggie might need a shot of something to get down the aisle. Onwards.

My search led me to many beautiful farms. Gorgeous farms. Stunning farms.


Source

And that's just three of them. I must have found dozens of gorgeous farms with gorgeous people willing to host our wedding.

But...I just kept going back to that great camp wedding. Camps have big beautiful lodges, right? Camps aren't used much after summer, right? We might even be able to find a camp that has a farm! Let's see what we can find.

Ooh check out this $2,000 wedding!

Or how great is this lodge?


Ugh, decisions decisions. Let's make a list.

Farm:
-Used to doing weddings so better service.
- Generally no need to rent things like linens, chairs, etc.
-More likely to have connections to local growers even if they don't grow food themselves any more.

Camp:
- Everyone could stay there all weekend. Fun!
- Looks like it would be a lot cheaper.
- May be more flexible since they don't do weddings as often.

Which would you choose?

3 comments: