Thursday, May 6, 2010

Taming the Train

For some reason none of the pictures of my dress online ever showed the train. Or they did, and I wasn't paying attention. And since I never actually tried on my dress before buying it, I got a little surprise when I put her on for the first time.

Oh yeah, that's right. Baby got back. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Not only is it the train super long, but the way that it comes out from the bodice kid of reminds me of this thread. The pointy-ness and the fact that it comes from right around my bung-hole kind of makes me looks like I'm farting a big piece of fabric. Plus, I've never really pictured myself with long train, especially since we're having an outdoor ceremony and a barn dance. Even when its bustled it still didn't feel right to me. I suppose it didn't help that Mr. Veg let me know in no uncertain terms how he felt about it (Note to all men: don't tell a bride that any part of her dress looks "silly", even if you're only talking about what you think is a minor detail, and even if you preface it with the words "kind of").

Anyhow, lucky for me that one of our good friends here is a seamstress and will be doing all my alterations. When I went in yesterday to get my first fitting I voiced my concerns and we had a bit of a play. She said she could easily remove the train all together, but was worried about how the seam would look. It was important to me that whatever we did, it kept the light feel of the dress and didn't add tons of fabric to my butt or hips. In the end, this is what we came up with.

She is going to leave the train on, but tuck it under and sew it so that it ends up coming out from under the top layer of the dress. This make the pointy-ness less noticeable and shortens the train. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, but I did whip up these handy drawing in MS Word so you can see what I'm talking about.So, what do you think? Am I crazy and overanalyzing a detail of my dress that no one else will notice? Am I being swayed too much by Mr. Veggie's comments and an unrelated Weddingbee thread? Am I destroying the designer's intention for the dress by changing the train? Do you have any other suggestions on altering the train?

No comments:

Post a Comment